Wednesday 12 February 2020

The washing of the hair

Now, this probably doesn't sound like a big deal but for me, it was massive.
After my staples were taken out, the nurse said to leave it a couple of days then I could wash my hair, gently, at the weekend. I was already struggling with the idea that my head had been held together by sixty staples that were now gone, actually touching my head seemed impossible! Still, there I was Saturday morning, sat in the bath, in my bikini, my mum washing my hair with baby shampoo.
One of the strangest moments of my life.
And it felt so unbelievably good to feel clean again! The bath water was practically black with all the chemicals and such they'd used during the surgery, it was a bit shocking and very disgusting!
I wasn't allowed to dry it with a hot hair dryer so I stuck my hair in a towel and did little else for a few hours, letting it dry as much as I could before mum finished it with the hair dryer on a cool, very low setting.
It took forever!
But when it was done, it was amazing to actually be able to brush it and tie it up like my old style again. There was a bit of stiffness like the kind you feel when you've had your hair up for a long time and take it out before bed but otherwise it didn't hurt and it really helped me to see myself when I looked in the mirror again.
The shape of my head was still off, but I felt more like myself than I had in a long time and that was truly something to be pleased for.

No comments:

Post a Comment