Saturday 8 February 2020

What's a craniotomy?

A question most people diagnosed with an operable brain tumour have probably asked themselves and others a time or two and probably you're not getting the answers you really want. Mine was something of a fast turnaround, I was given less than forty-eight hours notice after a cancellation. I had my surgery on a Saturday and was home on a Sunday. Crazy, right? It really was but I was relieved to be home, it was so much more relaxing to be in a place you feel safe and comfortable with the people you love.
Thank goodness we had the number for the ward I'd been on!
I woke up the first morning like this;
We were all a little bit worried! But it's completely normal, we were pleased to hear! Still a bit of a shock, the nurses on the ward were a lifeline for quite a long time and the ones at the Wessex Centre in Southampton still are, which is always a comforting thought.
I had the stockings, I had the 'careful of pins and needles in hands and feet', I had the 'washing machine' sounds in my head, I had trouble walking steadily and my speech was a bit muddled also, especially when I was tired, I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to eat much that wasn't soup of sandwiches cut into fingers.... All normal. No less terrifying, but normal.
I was lucky to be prescribed only paracetamol and codeine on leaving the hospital so my experience was fairly quick and easy but as you will see in my next post, what is really happening to your body and what your mind is making you think could happen are two entirely different things!

No comments:

Post a Comment